Comment on page
What's new With 5.0.0
September 23, 2021
ContentBox 5 is a major update for this CMS and it includes a major architectural change to move the CMS forward for the next 10-15 years. We have introduced multi-tenancy and a complete headless approach to ContentBox. It has become one of our biggest releases since our initial release since 2011.
We have used the power of CommandBox, to build a ContentBox CLI (
contentbox-cli) module that will assist you with installations, upgrades, maintenance and much more. Once CommandBox is installed you can run the following to install our cli:
box install contentbox-cli
We have upgraded our core to ColdBox 6 and we have received a tremendous amounts of benefits (https://coldbox.ortusbooks.com/intro/release-history/whats-new-with-6.0.0). Here are some of the features we get with this upgrade:
- Performance, performance, performance. ColdBox 6 has been finely tuned to make your applications much more performant and stable under high load.
- Better new CFML engine support
- Asynchronous programming. We have introduced the concepts of the
asyncpackage to the core and ContentBox will leverage more of these features for background job processing, automation and much more.
- New logging facilities and enhancements
- Better exception handling for developers
- REST Handlers and highly performant REST Routing
- Singleton View Rendering. You will find that all renderings are way faster than before.
- Much more!
- Fortified rule engine
- Annotation based security engine
- JWT support
- Security Services
- Cross site request forgery support
Although multi-tenancy been one of ContentBox's most requested features, we were hesitant for many years to comply due to the size of the needed refactoring. However, we have finally created a great base for making ContentBox multi-tenant. You can now configure 1 or 10000 sites under the same ContentBox umbrella. The new installer actually creates two sites for you: a development/staging site and a production site. That means that you can manage different content environments all under the same deployment.
Here are some of the features you get with multi-site ContentBox:
- Ability to register an infinite number of sites
- Site detection by regular expressions or patterns on incoming URIs
- Site detection by header identifier if using the headless CMS or reverse proxies
- Each site can contain its own
- Content Store
- Commenting System
- Admin site switcher
- Admin site control bar
- Clone content or entire content hierarchies from one site to the other
- Publish content directly to different sites
- Move content between sites
- Much more coming soon.
New Admin UI
The entire admin UI has been revamped and streamlined. You will find it much more breathable and easier to work with, especially from mobile devices and smaller screens. We are also starting to prepare a major theme change and customization that might be introduced in the final release or scheduled for a minor update.
We have completely changed our ORM structures and custom queries so it can be friendlier to other RDBMS. In this release we focus on portability of the host database and finally have core PostgreSQL support.
We have analyzed the entire ORM structures, queries and CFML code in this release thanks to FusionReactor's Profiler. We have streamlined the way the CMS loads and the results are impressive. In ContentBox 5, first loads are about 70% faster and page executions are around 30-40% faster than ContentBox 4.
This is such a controversial feature to be able to deliver patches via the admin. We have completely dropped the capability to patch the CMS from within the CMS. It caused more issues than it solved and in Windows it was pretty much impossible.
We have moved to a CommandBox + Migrations approach and the results are amazing. No more broken installs, half done db updates and more. Now you can simply run two CLI commands and be done with it. Here is a typical flow for updating your system:
# stop the server
# Update ColdBox and ContentBox
# Run Migrations
# start it up again
- assignment of page to default